Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Sandwich
March 17, 2015
This weekend I went to a funeral. I know that is not very uplifting, especially when this post is supposed to be about ice cream sandwiches, but my experience reminded me of something very important. Something I think a lot of us go through our day to day life not thinking about. We are all preoccupied with things like money, weight, success, or how many instagram followers we have, but in the end, and I mean when things actually end, none of that really matters.
Watching my friends and their family say goodbye, I was reminded that love is by far the most important thing we have in life. It is true, there are a lot of other emotions out there that, at times, can feel just as important or influential - anger, grief, or pride - but none of them can really compare to love. Love is this all encompassing thing that we as human beings cannot avoid. We are literally wired to depend on it. This is not something that is made up, or something Disney has brainwashed us to believe - this is real. And there is no escaping it.
And just because it is important does not always mean that it is easy. Love can be hard, or even scary at times - because things happen. Life happens. But without it, what's the point? Can you imagine if something wonderful happened in your life and there was no one to share it with? Or if you were going through a really tough time and there was no one to turn to? Our lives are meant to be shared with people, and it is so much better when we get to do that with the people we love.
So I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you to this family and to Grandpa Joe, for reminding me how important it is to allow yourself to open up and love someone unconditionally, and how lucky I am to be surrounded by so much love in my own life. I know in this day and age there are a lot of things out there to distract us - our phones, computers, television - but I challenge you to take a step back from that part of your life and tell someone you love them today. Call your mom, or your best friend or your brother - and just remind them that you love them.
And then when you are done with that, you can start making these ice cream sandwiches.
Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Sandwich
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar (plus extra for rolling)
- 2 cups + 2 TBS flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Preheat to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer or paddle attachment, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- On medium speed add the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together baking powder, salt, cocoa powder and flour.
- On a low speed, add to the dry mixture until just combined.
- Put the extra 1/2 cup of sugar into a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and roll in sugar.
- Place the balls about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using the back of a spoon, flatten each ball to 1/2" thick.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until the tops begin to crack.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.
- While cookies are cooling, bring ice cream out to soften.
- Once cookies are cooled, and the ice cream is soft, place a large scoop of ice cream on one cookie, and carefully top with another cookie. Press firmly but gently to avoid breaking the cookies.
- Run a knife or offset spatula around the edges to clean up any ice cream hanging over the edge.
- Freeze for at least 1 hour to firm the ice cream. Repeat with all the cookies.
03/17/15 10:42 PM
Yummo!! I'm gonna try these! ????
03/17/15 02:34 PM
These look AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing <3