A Little Bit of Love Heart Cake
February 06, 2015
Vanilla Vanilla Cake decorated for Valentine's Day! This cake is SUPER easy to make, and will do the trick if you are trying to impress anyone! All your need to do is smooth the buttercream, and decorate with these Large Heart Sprinkles, and these mini Vday Sprinkles.
A Little Bit Of Love Heart Cake
- 5 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Candy thermometer
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare three 6" cake pans with pam and parchment.
- In a medium bowl combine and stir the egg whites, 1/4 cup of milk, and the vanilla. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients together on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the butter and remaining milk, and mix on a low speed until just combined. Increase to medium speed and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and begin to add the egg mixture in 2 separate batches, beat on medium speed until it is just combined. (No more than 45 seconds after each addition)
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on racks until cooled completely.
For the buttercream
- In a small sauce pan put 3/4 cup of sugar and cover the sugar with a little bit of water until the sugar looks like wet sand.
- Cook on a stove top over high heat until it reaches 248 degrees (you will need a candy thermometer).
- While the sugar is cooking, whip eggs whites in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment at a high speed until they reach soft peaks.
- Once the egg whites reach soft peaks add the other 1/4 cup of sugar and mix on a high speed until the egg whites reach stiff peaks. You can keep mixing the egg whites at a high speed until the sugar is done cooking.
- Once the sugar reaches 248 degrees immediately take it off the stove.
- While the mixer is still running on high speed, add the sugar syrup to the egg white mixture. Mix on a high speed for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the room temperature butter and mix on a high speed for 5-10 minutes until the butter is fully combined and the mixture resembles buttercream.
- Add vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Frost cake and add sprinkles.
*Makes 1 6" cake
*If you do not have cake flour, you can use all purpose flour. 1 cup of cake flour = 1 cup of all purpose flour - 2 TBS.
Be the first to comment!