Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispy Treats
November 23, 2016
These Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispy Treats are the perfect sweet treat this time of year. Let me tell you why...
1. They are an excellent holiday variation of an already delicious dessert. I mean...who doesn't like homemade Rice Krispy Treats?
2. They are extremely easy to make - which during this time of year is essential. Everyone is running around like crazy with a million things to do, so an easy go to dessert is sometimes necessary.
3. They are a GREAT comfort food after you come home for a particularly awful date. I know from experience...it was so bad it only lasted 34 minutes.
You are probably asking yourself, how did this 34 minute date happen?
A few months ago I decided it was time for me to get back into the dating game. I figured if I was ever going to get myself an Instagram Husband, I needed to start with finding a boyfriend. But how do you even find one? I was told you go on a dating app, swipe right on a bunch of people's faces, endure a a couple awkward dates and then one magically shows up.
Here I am three months later...and still no magic. After 20 minutes of me asking rapid fire questions about this boy's job, I literally ran out of things to say. And for those who know me...that doesn't happen often. I started panicking and sweating and then I blacked out. I have no recollection of how I got out of there, but somehow I ended up back in the car driving home to stuff my face with Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispy Treats. It turns out you can eat a lot of these and not feel sick at all.
So if you are feeling particularly stressed this holiday season - it may not be a bad date, but an annoying family member, or awkward dinner conversation - these will definitely make it all better. I recommend a dose of about 4 - 5. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispy Treats
- 6 cups Rice Cereal
- 16 oz. marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Orange food coloring
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 24 oz. white melting chocolate, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- Piping bag
for the krispys:
- Prepare a 9 X 13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, melt butter and marshmallows on medium heat. Make sure you stir every 15-30 seconds until the two ingredients are combined.
- Stir in Pumpkin Spice and Cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Mix in a few drops of orange food coloring until you get the desired color.
- Add in Rice Krispy cereal and mix until everything is coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Spray nonstick cooking spray on your hands and press mixture down into the pan until it is one even layer.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
for the topping:
- Combine sugar and pumpkin spice (or cinnamon) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt 18 oz of chocolate in microwave. Use an offset spatula to spread melted chocolate on the rice krispy treats in an even layer. Let cool.
- Once chocolate has hardened, turn the rice krispy treats out onto a cutting board and cut them into individual pieces.
- Melt remaining 6 oz of chocolate and place it into a piping bag. Cut the end of the piping bag with scissors and drizzle chocolate over each one.
- Top with the sugar and spice mixture.
*About 12 treats
11/28/16 03:43 PM
Sorry about the awful date, Lindsay. The right one is out there! In the meantime, thank goodness for Pumpkin Spice Krispy treats!
11/28/16 05:33 PM