Ginger snaps, as the name suggests, are usually a spicy cookie with a nice crunchy texture. These ginger molasses cookies have that similar spicy flavor, but are super soft and have a much chewier texture. These are especially good warm out of the oven with a nice scoop of ice cream.
Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees °F.
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream shortening and sugar on high speed until combined.
- Add egg and molasses. Mix on a medium speed until they are incorporated.
- Put mixer on a low speed and slowly add dry ingredients until just incorporated. Be careful not to over mix.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and put 1/3 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
- Using an ice cream scoop, form a ball of dough and roll it in the sugar until it is completely coated.
- Place balls 3 inches apart and bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet.