What happens when you really want to make cookies, you don’t have any brown sugar, and you are too lazy to drive down the street to the market? The answer…sugar cookies. Little did I know that my laziness would lead me to find the best sugar cookie recipe ever!
There are two types of sugar cookies. There are sugar cookies that you roll out, cut into shapes, and then decorate all pretty (or not so pretty in some cases). Then there are the less glamorous ones. The cookies that are simply soft, chewy and delicious. No strange shapes, no crazy decorations - just a straight-forward, melt in your mouth sugar cookie. These are the sugar cookies I like to eat. Yes, the other ones are beautiful, but I would take a chewy cookie over a crunchy cookie any day. So here is a recipe for my favorite sugar cookie.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup room temperature butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (plus another 1/2 for rolling)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer or paddle attachment, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- On medium speed add the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together baking powder, salt and flour.
- On a low speed, add to the dry mixture until just combined.
- Put the extra 1/2 cup of sugar into a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and roll in sugar.
- Place the balls about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using the back of a spoon, flatten each ball to 1/2" thick.
- Bake 8–10 minutes until the tops begin to crack.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.