This recipe comes from my best friends mom. One of my fondest memories growing up is stuffing my face with this stuff. It is a wonderful, melt in your mouth bread, that is good for breakfast, great for a midday pick me up, and even better as a midnight snack. This recipe makes two loaves of bread, but since I do not have bread pans I went with muffins tins. Luckily, this recipe works in any form, and they came out great. I added a little lemon glaze just to mix things up. If you want to skip the glaze, a little powdered sugar does the trick.
Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Glaze
Poppy Seed Muffins
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tbs poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp butter extract
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add oil and milk and mix until just combined.
- Add eggs, vanilla, butter extract and almond extract and mix until combined.
- Add poppy seeds.
- Grease 2 bread loaf pans, or muffin tins.
- Bake mini muffins 8-10 minutes or Bread loaves 50-65 minutes ( until a toothpick comes out clean).
- While the muffins are in the oven, make the glaze.
- Put powdered sugar in a bowl and add lemon juice and water until you reach a glazed consistency.
- Once the muffins or loaves are done baking, put them on a plate and spoon glaze over the top of each one.