In honor of our new obsession with doughnuts, we decided to try to make some ourselves. Since we don’t have a deep fryer, we tried for something a little lighter. These baked blueberry doughnuts will satisfy your craving for the delicious goodness of a store bought doughnut without all the guilt. Not only do these doughnuts skip the trip to the fryer, but they are packed with our new favorite super food – blueberries! Blueberries have been shown to help preserve vision, improve heart health and fight cancer. Now you can eat doughnuts and fight cancer at the same time. Sounds good to me.
Baked Blueberry Doughnuts
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon lemon zest (depending on your taste)
for the doughnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a donut pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl combine the sour cream and sugar.
- Add oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Fold the sour cream mixture into the dry mixture, until just barely combined. It should still be a little lumpy.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter evenly into a doughnut pan, and bake for 14 minutes or until just beginning to brown around the edges. Cool completely before adding the glaze.
for the glaze:
- Place all ingredients in a blender, chopper, or food processor, and mix until smooth.
- Spread evenly over cooled doughnuts.
And don't forget to check out our National Doughnut Tour!