Holiday Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract - mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture slowly, and mix until combined.
- Split dough into 4 sections. Sprinkle extra flour on a sheet of parchment paper and rub some onto a rolling pin. Roll out one section of the dough to 1/2" thick and place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. Repeat with other three sections.
- Once dough has chilled, use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden.
- Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a baking rack to cool completely.
- Decorate as desired.
We decided to decorate with royal icing and colorful sprinkles.
And then we put them in a box, wrapped it with twine, and added a kraft scalloped gift tag and some holly berries. A perfect gift for the holiday season!