Hello 2015. Nice to meet you, where you been? I could show you incredible things.
Ok, maybe not as incredible as the things Taylor Swift could show you...but I am going to do my best. To start, we have these awesome chocolate sugar cookies. We took our classic Sugar Cookie recipe and added a little chocolatey goodness. To be honest, they turned out even better than I imagined. They have nice crispy edges and that wonderful chewy center that every cookie should have.
So in conclusion, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, and are excited for all the wonderful things to come in 2015. I plan on filling my year with cake, cookies and lots and lots of doughnuts.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar (plus extra for rolling)
- 2 cups + 2 tbs flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer or paddle attachment, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- On medium speed add the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and flour.
- On a low speed, add the dry mixture until just combined.
- Put the extra 1/2 cup of sugar into a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and roll them in the sugar.
- Place the balls about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using the back of a spoon, flatten each ball to 1/2" thick.
- Bake 8–10 minutes until the tops begin to crack.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.