My parents always taught me that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. No matter what was going on, they always made sure my brother and I had something in our stomachs before we went off to school.
When I got older and I had to make my own breakfast, my go to was always cereal (Lucky Charms being my favorite). So when Natasha from Violet Tinder and I were brainstorming "Back To School" ideas we could collaborate on, cereal seemed like the perfect fit!
And what's the only thing better than a great bowl of cereal? Breakfast Cereal Doughnuts! Natasha and I had so much fun making and styling these. We did make a little bit of a mess...but it was worth it.
Breakfast Cereal Doughnuts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup tablespoons cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- Doughnut Pan
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Your favorite cereal
for the doughnuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a Doughnut Pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla pasta.
- On a low speed, add dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Slowly stream in buttermilk. Mix until combined.
- Place batter into a large piping bag.
- Pipe batter so that each doughnut mold is 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Place doughnuts on wire rack to cool.
for the icing:
- Put powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk in milk and vanilla.
- Dip doughnut into the icing.
- Place iced doughnut on a wire rack (with parchment underneath) and immediately add cereal.