You have probably heard the saying "everything is better with butter" - and to be honest, it's kind of true. Butter is amazing. But what most people don't know is that butter is at its best when its browned.
There is just something about browning the butter that takes things to the next level. And, it's not even very hard to do. All you do is put the butter in a pot over medium/high heat. Once the butter is melted and begins to foam, start whisking. The butter at the bottom of the pan will begin to brown and let off some sort of nutty aroma. And that's it. That's all you have to do.
And then you can put it in a mixing bowl and make these delicious cookies. The combination of the brown butter and the brown sugar give this cookie a melt in your mouth kind of effect. They are prefect for any holiday cookie swap you have coming up, or if you are like me, you can just use them for personal consumption.
Brown Butter Brown Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, browned
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 Brown Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, cook butter over medium heat while whisking constantly. The butter will begin to foam, and start to turn brown at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the butter begins to brown, transfer immediately to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add sugars and mix until combined.
- Add egg, egg yolks, greek yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Let the dough sit for 5 - 10 minutes to allow the dough set up.
- Take about two tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball.
- Roll the ball in the brown sugar.
- Place on a cookie sheet, about 2 inch apart from each other and bake for 8-11 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown.
- Set of a cooling rack to cool.
*Makes about 24 cookies