I recently purchased a shirt that accurately describes how I have been feeling over the last couple of months. It says, "Sorry I'm Late, I didn't want to come". It's not so much the late part as I strongly believe in punctuality, but rather the " I didn't want to come" that kind of sums up how I have been feeling lately.
I haven't really wanted to do anything that didn't require sleeping or binge watching Game of Thrones alone on my couch. I don't know if it was the looming one year anniversary of my mom's passing, but I don't think it's a coincidence that me feeling so awful lined up with this timeline.
But now that the one year mark has passed, and I have made it through (almost) all of the "first time without my mom" milestones, I am trying to find ways to feel better. I know she wouldn't want me to staying home alone all the time - although I do think she would enjoy a good Game of Thrones binge watching session.
One thing that always helps is baking. I have made these cookies a lot over the last couple of months because I usually already have all the ingredients in my pantry (no need to go to the store and see other humans) and they are really really good. Nothing quite fixes a bad day like a warm delicious chocolate chip cookie. So if you are having a rough time, or you just need a freaking delicious cookie, try these guys!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups flour (320g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (7g)
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar (7g)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (2.5g)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, browned (227g)
- 1 cups brown sugar (220g)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150g)
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon of plain greek yogurt (18g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5g)
- 1 package of chocolate chips (283g) (These are my favorite)
- 1 package toffee pieces (226g) (These are my favorite)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, cook butter over medium heat while whisking constantly. The butter will begin to foam, and eventually start to turn brown at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the butter begins to brown, transfer immediately to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add sugars and mix until combined.
- Add egg, egg yolks, greek yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and toffee pieces. (*TIP - Set some chips/toffee pieces aside to put on top of each cookie after they come out of the oven)
- Use a medium ice cream scoop to scoop out cookies and place them in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Place on baking sheet, 2 inches apart, and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown.
- Take cookies out transfer to wire rack to cool.
*Makes about 24 cookies.