Yesterday was National Pi Day, and I made sure to celebrate in style with this Confetti Birthday Pie. It wasn't really anyone's birthday, but I was craving Birthday Cake Crumble - so it just kind of happened.
I have a soft spot for pie's because my first real job in a bakery was at Pie Sister's in Washington D.C. It was here that I realized that I had a passion for baking. I figured if I could get myself up at 4:30 in the morning (as a second semester senior in college) to roll out a bunch of pie dough, this was something I should consider as a career.
So here we are, 5 years later, and I am still rolling out pie dough. But of course now, there are sprinkles involved. And I don't have to get up before sunrise - so things are looking pretty good. This pie has a flaky confetti crust, a sweet birthday cake filing, and is topped with mounds of whipped cream and birthday cake crumble.
Confetti Birthday Pie
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon cold shortening
- 3 tbs cold water
- 3 tbs cold milk
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
Confetti Birthday Filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon imitation vanilla extract
- A few drops of pink food coloring
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Birthday Cake Crumble
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
for the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine flour, salt, sugar and sprinkles.
- Add shortening and mix until just combined.
- Add cold water and milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until dough comes together.
- Gather dough into a ball and shape it into a flattened round on a floured surface.
- Roll pie crust into a circle 2 inches larger than the upside down pie plate.
- Carefully transfer dough to pie plate and trim dough to a 1-inch overhang. Fold the extra piece under and pinch to seal it. Decorate edges as desired.
- Using a fork, poke a couple of holes in the bottom of the crust.
- Line the bottom of the crust with parchment and fill it with pie weights.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
- Remove pie weights and parchment.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the bottom is golden.
for the filling:
- Whisk egg yolks in medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add milk and cook on medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbling and thick.
- Add the mixture to the eggs yolks a little bit at a time. Whisk until combined.
- Return the mix to the saucepan and cook on medium hear, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and stir in imitation vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge until the filling is completely set (about 4 hours).
- Once it is set, stir in pink food coloring and sprinkles. Add to the cooled pie crust.
for the topping:
- Make Birthday Cake Crumble according to recipe. Set aside to cool.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine heavy cream and powdered sugar.
- Mix on a high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Put whipped cream on top of filling and smooth with spatula.
- Add crumble and more sprinkles.