Everyone has their own opinion on the proper way to eat an Oreo. Some like it plain, some like it dunked in milk, and others (like myself) insist that Oreos are best when paired with peanut butter. But this week, I discovered that Oreos are pretty phenomenal when you sandwich some homemade ice cream in between the two cookies.
That’s right – you just take apart an Oreo and smash some ice cream-y goodness right there in the middle. And BOOM! An epic dessert for you and whoever you feel like sharing with – although the sharing part is definetly not required.
If you are making these for an event (aka your 4th of July gathering), and you are feeling overwhelmed or rushed, you are more than welcome to use store bought ice cream. But there is something about the homemade ice cream that really takes things up a notch. It has this amazing creamy texture that you just can’t get from regular ice cream – and, as a bonus, everyone will be super impressed with you. They don’t have to know it literally takes 10 minutes to make.
Just make sure you plan ahead and make the ice cream the night before so it can set up in the freezer. I think these bad boys look great when you just add a sprinkle rim, but if you go the extra step and want to dip your Oreos, you have to let them freeze for another hour or two after you sandwich them. You don’t want a melting mess on your hands.
4TH OF JULY OREO ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold heavy cream (16.4oz)
- Blue and red food coloring
- 45 Oreos
- 6 oz blue melting chocolate (optional)
FOR THE ICE CREAM
- In a medium bowl, mix condensed milk and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into condensed milk mixture.
- Line a loaf pan (about 9"x5")with parchment.
- Pour 1/3 of the ice cream mixture into loaf pan and add a few drops of food coloring. Use a knife to swirl the color around. (Be careful not to over swirl!)
- Repeat two more times ending with the colors on top.
- Place loaf pan into the freezer overnight, or until firm.
FOR THE OREO SANDWICHES
- Using a knife or fork, divide the Oreo in half so the cream is on one side.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of ice cream into the center of the Oreo.
- Sandwich the Oreo and place back in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or until firm.
- In a small deep microwave safe bowl (deep enough to dunk half the Oreo in), melt blue chocolate in 30 second increments.
- Place Patriotic sprinkles in a small shallow bowl.
- Only taking 1 Oreo out of the freezer at a time, use a knife to smooth the sides of the ice cream.
- Either dip the rim of the ice cream into the sprinkles or dip half the Oreo into the chocolate and place it on parchment paper and add sprinkles.
- Place Oreo back into the freezer.
- Let Oreos sit another 30 minutes, or until firm, before serving.