*Make sure your flour is heat treated before eating raw cookie dough. You can see how to do that HERE.
A couple of weeks ago I made this epic Confetti Cookie Dough Cake. I absolutely love cookie dough and so obviously I couldn’t stop thinking about this cake. I wanted it ALL the time.
But instead of making this cake again, I decided to turn it into cupcakes. They are easier to share with people so I wasn’t stuck eating the whole cake by myself!
Except this time I decided to bake the cookie dough right into the cupcake! I removed the egg from my cookie dough recipe (because let’s be honest…I don’t need anyone getting salmonella on my watch) which makes it prefect safe to eat…
But this also allows for the cookie dough to stay nice and gooey inside the cupcake! I tried this recipe a few different times (one was an EPIC fail), but I finally landed on a real winner! If you like cookie dough at all, you are going to LOVE these cupcakes!
COOKIE DOUGH CUPCAKES
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Milk
- Pink food coloring
- 1/2 cup sprinkles for decorating
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
For the cookie dough:
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add flour and salt. Mix until combined.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Make thirty cookie dough balls (about 15 grams each) and put in the freezer for at least 3 hours. Use the remaining dough to make another thirty balls and set aside.
For the cupcakes:
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, egg white and the vanilla. Set aside.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine dry ingredients and mix on a low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add butter and milk. Mix on a low speed until just combined. Increase to medium speed and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add egg white mixture in 2 separate batches. Beat on medium speed until it is just combined.
- Stir in sprinkles.
- Using a medium ice cream scoop, scoop batter into cupcake liners.
- Place frozen ball of cookie dough in the center of the cupcake.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool.
For the buttercream:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add powdered sugar. Mix until combined and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, milk and a few drops of food coloring. Mix until combined.