Since Sunday was #nationalicecreamday and July is officially National Ice Cream Month, I decided an Ice Cream Cake was the only appropriate way to celebrate. I know ice cream by itself is a very popular treat, especially in the summer, but I think ice cream cake is grossly underused in the dessert world. I mean…it’s cake AND ice cream! What could be better than that?
This ice cream cake was inspired by these Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes. The cake is a super moist cinnamon sugar cake and it is packed between creamy layers of homemade no churn cinnamon ice cream. The whole thing is then topped off with a white chocolate ganache and a little cinnamon toast crunch for some extra goodness.
Somehow it is already more than halfway through July, so we are running out of excuses to eat ice cream EVERY SINGLE DAY. So hurry up and make this cake!
CINNAMON TOAST ICE CREAM
CINNAMON TOAST ICE CREAM
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch (optional)
CINNAMON TOAST CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 5 oz white chocolate
- Blue food coloring
- 1 - 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch
FOR THE ICE CREAM:
- In a medium bowl, mix condensed milk and vanilla extract.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into condensed milk mixture.Line two 6" pans with parchment.
- Divide ice cream mixture between two pans and freeze overnight.
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three 6" pans with non-stick cooking spray and parchment.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon on a low speed.
- Add butter and milk. Mix on a low speed until just combined. Increase to medium speed and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until it is just combined.
- Divide evenly between the three cake pans.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Set pans on wire rack to cool.
- Once it is cool, take the cakes out of their pans and level them with a serrated knife.
FOR THE GANACHE:
- Place melting chocolate and heavy cream in a microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment, until the chocolate is melted.
- Place one cake layer onto a cake plate.
- Remove ice cream from pan and place it on top of the cake layer.
- Repeat with remaining cake and ice cream layers.
- Allow the ice cream to melt a little, and then use an offset spatula to spread it over the exposed cake layers.
- Put cake back in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Once the ice cream has become firm again, take the cake out and use a spoon to drip the ganache down the side of the cake. Then place the rest of the ganache in the middle of the cake and use an offset spatula to spread it evenly.
- Add Cinnamon Toast Crunch on top.
- Keep in the freezer until you are ready to serve.