Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
April 20, 2017
Yesterday my baby brother turned 25. Normally, I would celebrate a big birthday like this with an epic cake - but because he is not a huge cake lover, I decided to go with cookies instead. I don't really understand how people don't like cake, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion (even if it is very wrong).
These Brown Butter Sugar Cookies are not like a regular a regular sugar cookie. These guys are NEXT LEVEL. Let me tell you why. First, the browned butter. All you have to do is heat the butter up in a saucepan until you start to smell this nutty aroma. It's super simple to do, but it goes a long way in terms of flavor.
Next, the turbinado sugar. In the nutrition world this type of sugar is considered healthier because it goes through very little processing. But I just like it because it had great flavor and chunky crystals that give the cookie a great texture. The crunch of the turbinado sugar paired with the soft and chewy brown butter cookie is the perfect combination.
It's also the perfect way to send me off. Today I am headed to Europe for 7 weeks. A week traveling and then 6 weeks in Regensburg, Germany. But don't worry, I will be doing plenty of baking and a lot of eating over there. Ok fine...it will be mostly eating - but I'm not complaining. Make sure you follow along on Instagram!
Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, cook butter over medium heat while whisking constantly. The butter will begin to foam, and start to turn brown at the bottom of the pan.
- Once the butter begins to brown, transfer immediately to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and sugars. Mix until combined.
- Add egg, egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour turbinado sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Using a medium scoop, scoop out cookie dough balls. Roll dough in sugar.
- Place dough ball on cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 - 14 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and add another sprinkle of turbinado.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet.
*Make about 16 cookies
10/20/17 10:52 AM
Made these a few times now - they're one of my 3 "staple" cookie recipes! This last time, I substituted the vanilla extract with maple extract and added pecans and they were SO GOOD. Not that the original recipe needed any improving, I was just trying to make them more "fall."
10/20/17 03:09 PM
Bre - what an AMAZING idea for Fall! I love it. And I am so glad you like these cookies. They are one of my favorites too! Always a crowd pleaser.