In the past couple of years, I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen. I have made everything from cookies to brownie to cakes to quick breads. You name it, I have probably baked it. But for some reason, I always found myself avoiding cheesecake recipes - something about its temperamental reputation intimidated me.
Finally, I decided it was time to face my cheesy fears. As it turns out, all my preconceived notions about cheesecake were totally false. if you have the right recipe, it is actually quite easy to make and equally as delicious.
Once I realized this, I started getting creative with colors (like this Tie Dye Cheesecake) and flavors. This Honey Lavender recipe is definetly one of my favorites!
Something about the combination of honey + lavender really gives this cheesecake an amazing taste without being too overpowering. I hate when things taste super floraly. This guy is nice and light and absolutely to die for! You will definetly be going back for a second piece!
Honey Lavender Cheesecake
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lavender extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Violet food coloring
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9" springform pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until throughly combined.
- Press crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan and about 1/2 inch up the side.
- Bake 12 - 15 minutes until the crumbs are set.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
for the filling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat on high for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract, lavender extract, honey and salt and mix until just combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the side of the bowl with a spatula after each addition.
- Add a few drops of violet food coloring and mix until desired color.
- Add sour cream and mix until combined.
- Add heavy cream and mix until combined.
- Wrap the outside of your springform pan in aluminum foil.
- Pour cream cheese filling into springform pan. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Place the pan inside a high-sided roasting pan.
- Create a water bath by filling the roasting pan with hot water until you reach halfway up the side of the cheesecake pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- After an hour and a half, turn the oven off and crack the door open 1 inch.
- Leave the cheesecake like this for 1 hour.
- After an hour, take the cheesecake out of the oven and place aluminum foil over the top (making sure the foil does not actually touch the cheesecake).
- Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
for the topping
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, honey, vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Spread mixture over the top of the cooled cheesecake.