This week, I made some bright and colorful white chocolate Unicorn Fudge that is guaranteed to brighten up anyone’s day. If you haven’t noticed, the Unicorn trend has taken the Instagram baking world by storm.
I can’t say I am surprised. Unicorns are pretty cool. I should know because I have spent the better part of the last 26 years trying to become one. I’m not talking about the mythical horses with the horn in the middle of their head (although that would be awesome), I’m talking about what the idea of “being a Unicorn” represents in our culture.
Today, to be a Unicorn is to be something truly special. A beautiful and majestic creature that is unique in all the right ways. You know what I am talking about – the kind of person that can’t help but stand out in a crowd. Someone that everyone looks at and just thinks “Wow. That person is AWESOME.”
My whole life I have been working to be the best at everything I did. Things like better grades, higher test scores, more followers – whatever it was, I was always killing myself to be something more than I was. But after years of constantly beating myself up for not being better, I have learned that trying to be a Unicorn kind of sucks.
I will let you in on a little secret, no matter how amazing you are, there is always going to be someone who is smarter, faster, or just better than you are…damn unicorns. And no matter how good you get, those people will always be there to make you doubt yourself.
So in 2017, I have decided to give up on trying to be something that I am not. To stop comparing myself to others and to just live my life the best I can and be the best I can be. But don’t worry. Just because I have given up on my dreams of becoming a Unicorn doesn’t mean I am going to stop making Unicorn themed sweet treats. Enjoy the fudge!
- 24 oz. white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Purple food coloring
- Sprinkles (the most unicorn looking ones you can find)
- Prepare an 8x8 inch pan with parchment.
- Place white chocolate, heavy cream and vanilla extract into a microwave safe bowl. Melt in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Add a few drops of purple food coloring. Keep adding until you get the desired color.
- Pour in prepared pan and smooth with a knife or offset spatula.
- Add sprinkles. Press lightly into fudge.
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour and cut into squares.
- Let the fudge come to room temperature before serving.