So after two months in Europe, I am back in the USA. This week, I have spent a lot of time telling people about my adventures in Germany and how it was a truly was an incredible experience. I have so many stories about the people I met and the places I visited - and I did learn quite a few things about the German culture. More specifically, the Germans have no idea what a Rice Krispy Treat is.
In the US, these marshmallow treats are considered a staple in every home. There is no baking involved, the process is super easy to make, and they are DELICIOUS. I even did a "How To" project about then in 7th grade.
But somehow, Germans missed the memo on these. So when I started melting marshmallows at the treatment center, they all looked at me like I was crazy. When I presented them with the final product their minds were literally BLOWN. They were all gathered around me watching me cut them like I had just shown them the most amazing thing they had ever seen. It was hilarious. And the kids LOVED them.
So today, I have put a little summer spin on the delicacy that is the Rice Krispy Treat. For me, there is nothing better than an ice cold lemonade on a hot summer day, so I created some Pink Lemonade Rice Krispy Treats! A little food coloring and a a hint of lemon extract give the traditional treat a sweet summer makeover!
Pink Lemonade Rice Krispy Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispy Cereal
- 16 oz. bag or 9 cups mini marshmallows
- 4 tbs. salted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- Pink food coloring
- In a large pot, melt butter and 7 cups of mini marshmallows on medium heat. Make sure you stir every 15-30 seconds until the two ingredients are combined.
- Mix in a few drops of pink food coloring and lemon extract.
- Add in Rice Krispy cereal and mix until everything is coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Let sit for 1 minute to cool.
- Add remaining marshmallows 1 cups at a time. Stir after each addition.
- Spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray and then pour mixture into pan.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray on your hands and press mixture down into the pan.
- Add sprinkles all over the top and lightly press down.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the treats and cooled, cut them into individual servings.