Trying new things can be scary. It is something I really try to avoid. It’s just…I hate being bad at things – and usually, when you try something new, you are pretty bad at it at first. For example, one of the first times I played miniature golf, I hit my friend in the head with a golf ball. Let’s just all take a minute and try to picture that….
Yeah, it’s not pretty. And it’s not even that easy to do.
But, unfortunately, trying new things is a part of life, and we all have to do it. So, when my friend told me about these mini chocolate chip cookies, I figured I would give it a shot. Quick side note: this happens to be the same friend I hit in the head all those years ago. I guess you can say she is a pretty good friend because she forgave me for almost taking her head off with a golf ball. Anyway, she told me these cookies were so great. She said, “They are the perfect size to just pop in your mouth. Pop! Pop! Pop!” as she was pretending to pop cookies into her mouth. So, I made a batch. “Nope. Too big” she said. I made a second batch. “Nope. Still too big.” I made a third batch. “You are getting there, but still too big.” I literally had to use only 1 or 2 mini chips in EACH cookie. The dough balls are so itty bitty you don’t even think they are going to turn into anything. But in the end, she was right. They end up being the perfect size to just pop in your mouth. But be careful, they can be a little addicting. You are just sitting there like “Pop. Pop. Pop.” and then, before you know it, the whole bowl is gone.
MINI CHOCOLATE CHIP POPPERS
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into tiny TINY balls. Only 1 -3 mini chocolate chips per ball.
- Bake for 2-5 minutes depending on if you want them softer or crispier.
- Let cookies cool n baking sheet.